Sunday, August 3, 2008

A workplace success story

I've posted about the need and use of workplace mediations. Karen Dorn and Cheryl Stinski published an article in the Appleton (Wisconsin) Post-Crescent about the same issue. A human resources manager asked them about ways to ease the HR manager's job because of conflict in the workplace.

The authors suggest that workplace mediation would be an answer to the problem of employees who are in conflict. There are three specific tools that these authors suggest:

  • Use "I" statements instead of "you" statements (for example, "I feel like you are always taunting me" instead of "You are always taunting me."). This changes the focus to one's own feelings and takes away the more attacking form of "you" are doing something.
  • Reframe the message. Make a negative message positive; don't assume bad things about the other person. So instead of "You are always taunting me" you could say "I feel that you are frustrated with me because I ask so many questions. But I'm just trying to understand the instructions and the timing to accomplish these tasks."
  • Restate what you heard and allow open dialog. There are numerous studies that establish that people want to be heard, and once they get things out in the open, they feel better about the situation. That makes negotiations easier. So give folks room to talk and after they talk, restate what they've said. That way, they know that you were listening.

No comments: